How to Choose an Installer
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”.
If you’d like to work with a reliable solar power installer, don’t feel pressured to sign up as soon as you get a quote or over the phone.
As with all purchases, it’s a good idea to do your research and shop around so you have time to compare companies, services and products.
Above all, think carefully about the five key considerations listed below before making your decision.
Do some research into the benefits of having a solar power system installed. The Clean Energy Council’s guide to having solar installed is a good place to start.
2Compare apples with apples
There’s a lot of information on the internet about solar systems and components. New clients often tell us they’re confused or can’t make sense of all the “noise”. There is also a sliding scale in terms of pricing and acceptable workmanship which usually reflects the quality of components that are being used.
When comparing quotes, first check if the inverter and solar panels offered are part of the CEC accredited list.
Second, check the reviews on these items via independent websites like Solarquotes.com.au. You can also read about the 2018 Best Solar Inverters here, and find out about the best panels here.
3Find out who will be installing your system
There’s no point taking your time to make sure you’ve chosen good quality components with strong warranties if they’re not installed correctly.
The management of quality control and the serviceability of warranty can be achieved at a higher level when the installation is performed by a company with in-house installers. This is because you are dealing with one company and the buck stops with them.
The more experienced the team the better, and the more likely they are to install your solar system to the highest standard.
Most often it pays to choose a well-established local company with a good reputation whose business success is based on customer satisfaction.
4Make sure they visit your property
A good solar installation company will help you choose the right sized system for your property and energy needs.
They’ll need to understand how much energy you use and at what times of the day or night. Only by understanding your energy consumption can they give you accurate advice on what size system will suit your needs.
Near Maps or Google satellite imagery can give a solar professional an idea of your roof layout. However, only by visiting your property and actually getting up on the roof can anyone truly get a clear idea of the best solution for your needs.
There are several key factors that can only be gathered via a site assessment:
- Roof profile – Is a special bracket required to ensure compliant installation?
- Access – Can the roof be accessed via ladder or is an Elevated Work Platform or Scissor Lift required?
- Screw Lines – Can the existing screw lines be used to ensure the correct clamp zones on the panels are maintained?
- Shading – A shading analysis can be performed on site to assist with system selection and correct string arrangement for the panels.
- Switchboard – Is there room in the switchboard for extra circuit breakers or smart meters, or is a separate board required?
- Cable run – Can the cable run go internally or will it require external conduit?
5Find out who services your warranties
We maintain close, professional relationships with all our suppliers and ensure they have an Australian office in the event a warranty claim is required.
When deciding on the system these the are important questions to ask:
- How long is the warranty on the inverter?
- Does the warranty cover parts and labour for replacement?
- Have you made a warranty claim before and how was the process?
- Is there an extended warranty option on the inverter?
Home and Energy believe in using exceptional quality products backed by a strong honest warranty to ensure your system provides renewable energy long into the future.
Speak to an expert now
We’ve helped hundreds of home and business owners on the Sunshine Coast. Our online reviews are a testament to our quality workmanship and service.
Call 07 5403 7969 or use our online form to request a visit from one of our team members and give yourself peace of mind.